June is all about ‘the essence of summer’
(This month I want to see what summer means to you. Still focussing on the garden or parkland let your photographs tell me your story of summer-time wherever in the world you live. )
More scent this week, and a flower that shouts summer to me. Lilies. I have grown lilies in pots for years, though last year something came along and munched all the flowers off my favourite “Orange Pixie“, a dwarf Asiatic variety bred specifically for containers. Sadly Asiatics have no perfume, unlike Oriental Lilies, which are later to bloom than other types, with intoxicatingly fragrant star-shaped flowers that are superb for cutting. But when you see lilies in bloom you know summer has arrived.
And of course there are the daylillies (all one word) Hemerocallis , which comes from two Greek words meaning “beauty” and “day,” referring to the fact that each flower lasts only one day. Missed them last year as I was away from home, but I hope to see them flower well this summer as they are now out of a pot and into the garden.
If you would like to join in with Garden Photography then please take a look at my Garden Photography Page. No complicated rules 🙂
- Create your own post and title it June: The Essence of Summer
- Include a link to this page in your post so others can find it too
- Add the tag “GardenChallenge” so everyone can find the posts easily in the WP Reader
- Get your post in by the end of the month, as the new theme comes out on the first Sunday in July.
- Please visit the sites in the comments to see what others are posting.