August’s theme is Open Gardens, or a Flower Show
(This can be a local flower show in your village or town, a national show like Chelsea, Hampton Court etc. or maybe even a small garden open for charity or to the public several times a year)
A flower show is a quintessential English thing. I remember from being a young child that even small village fetes had competitions for dahlias, roses, sweetpeas, gladioli and floral bouquets etc. as well as the cake stall and jams and preserves and who could grow the largest marrow.
In Cornwall the Garden Society holds a spring flower show every year, usually in early April and held at Boconnoc House near Lostwithiel. There are competitive classes, trade stands, show gardens and gardening experts on hand. I have only been once and it was a particularly cold day so I didn’t stay long. They also open their grounds to the public several times a year during May so people can visit the woodlands when they are at their best.
Of course at the time of my visit I didn’t actually live in Cornwall and didn’t even have a garden, so although tempted by some of the offerings on sale there seemed little point.
Now though there could be room in the garden for a statue or two. Small ones that is.
If you would like to join in with Garden Photography then please take a look at my Garden Photography Page. No complicated rules 🙂
- Create your own post and title it August: Flower Show / Open Garden
- Include a link to this page in your post so others can find it too
- Add the tag “GardenChallenge” so everyone can find the posts easily in the WP Reader
- Get your post in by the end of the month, as the new theme comes out on the first Sunday in September.
- Please visit the sites in the comments to see what others are posting.